Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 22:59:24 +1000
Susan Hays wrote:

> I told a friend that I would post her problem to this group of computer
> experts just to see if you could give any suggestions as to what her problem
> is.  She has a Gateway 233 with 64MB of Ram.  She is running Windows 98 and
> is online using a small ISP.  She uses Netscape Communicator.  Her computer
> constantly freezes up, many many times per night.

I would do a complete hardware check if I were your friend. There are some common
reasons which will result freezing on hardware level. To address the problem, she
could:
1) running the PC with case open, see if the CPU fan is working proply or if
there is a heat problem.
2) Check if the power supply fan is still running, in most computer, power supply
fan is the only one to deal with hot air inside.
3) If heat is not the problem: Did the PC have same problem before? if not, and
there is no change on software, the problem looks very much like hardware
related, then there are three things to check first - RAM, mobo, Video card.
4) if there is no hardware problem, back up system first. then format harddisk,
reload windows, just keep basic software - don't load any additional software
such like Norton, to see if there is problem, if not, add software one by one,
unless she can find which application is doing the freezing.

*People here can help her better if she can provide more info on her system eg.
what software she is using? Hardware specification, Did she update her
win98/software? Any problem history? What has been changed before the problem
appear?

Jun Qian

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>