Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 01:53:29 -0700
We have a problem with a 56K PCI Fax winmodem. When originally installed it worked properly. It was not used for a few months and now does not respond at all. The only error message I got was something to do with Telephony. Sorry I didn't write it down. The system is running WIN98.

I have checked the Device Manager and the modem is listed as working properly using COM 3. Under COM ports only 1,2 and 4 are listed. The modem is using IRQ 10 along with IRQ Holder for PCI Steering.

In WIN98 System Tools I have run the System File Checker with no corrupt files being listed. Also ran Version Conflict manager, with no conflicts listed. In System Info - Hardware Resources, no conflicts are listed.

I have attached a phone to the back of the modem and I do get a dial tone and have also tried WIN98 Phone Dialer with no response.

I have removed the modem and reseated it with no change. Then I removed the modem from Device Manager and physically removed the modem from the computer. Upon reinstallation WIN98 recognized the modem as new hardware and proceeded to install it. I used the latest drivers that I got from the manufacturers web site. None of this made a difference.

Since COM 3 wasn't appearing in Device Manager, I changed the COM port for the modem to COM 2. This also made no difference.

I moved the modem to another PCI slot. No difference.

I finally tried a brand new 56K PCI winmodem. The modem still wouldn't work.

Can anyone give me an idea on how to fix this problem?

Adele Sapilewski

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>