From:
Steve Dias <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Sep 1999 07:24:22 -0500
The Win98 Startup disk that was created on my Win98 Upgrade version does
indeed provide me with the choice of 2 generic CD-Rom drivers, one for IDE
drives, one for SCSI. While these may not work for all CD-Rom drives out
there, it does for most and allowed me to reinstall Win98 on a reformatted
drive without having to mess with config.sys and autoexec.bat files.

Steve D

> The upgrade version will not have the disk mentioned in my step 6 so you
> will need to create a bootable disk AND install your CD driver on it AND
> copy the MSCDEX.SYS file on to it AND create a config.sys and
> autoexec.bat -- all on the floppy disk.  You must do all this BEFORE you
> format the hard drive (someone else has stated that using the boot disk
will
> install the CD driver -- that is NOT true)

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html