From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:41:57 -0800
On 18 Sep 99, at 0:41, QJ wrote:

> However, there is a problem. during the NTWS installation, NT sees the
> size of HDD as 86xx Mb, and the 2940 SCSI card as 294x SCSI host card (I
> believe both are correct), but the unpartitioned free space is only
> shown as 8033Mb. At this point, I terminated NT setup as the
> unpartitioned space is not what it sees.

1)
  NT install has been known to report the unpartitioned free space on
SCSI drives incorrectly.  I'm not sure why, but since this is a brand
new drive anyway, you should be able to go into the Adaptec setup
(Ctrl-A) and do a low-level format of the drive.  [This often seems
to fix problems when moving drives between different brands of SCSI
controllers, too, although not if you want to keep the old files on
the drive....)  NT install should then report the correct size.

2)
  The maximum size of an NT FAT partition is 4GB.  Since the NT
install, if asked to create an NTFS partition, creates a FAT
partition and then converts it, it too is limited to 4GB.  There are
a couple of things you can do after the install to make use of the
rest of the drive, so the difference you've noted wouldn't become
significant until some time later.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org