From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:54:09 -0600
I have a Techmedia TCM-1450D 14" monitor less than a year old, in a
homebuilt Pentium 200MMX, 48MB system with an S3-ViRGE video card.
I'm running Linux 2.2.9-27mdk.

When I start up the computer, the display area of the monitor screen
is shrunk horizontally to show about 2 inches of margin on each side.
If I turn off the monitor and back on, it does the same thing UNLESS I
wait until a little later in the boot sequence.  If I turn it off and
back on anytime after the prompt for the Western Digital EZ-drive (I
have a 13GB HD) or thereabouts, then it is restored to the proper
width and will remain so until I shut down the computer.  It also
works properly if I wait to turn on the monitor until about the same
length of time into the boot sequence.

Any clues?  It's a nuisance and it seems like there must be a setting
somewhere I don't know about.