From:
Steven Ables <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 16:59:48 -0500
Most likely, if the CD-ROM is reading regular CD's without errors, it is not a
cleaning issue. CD-R's have a lower reflectivity and many older drives have a
hard time reading them leading to read errors. Even the better CD-R disks are
only about 70% as reflective as a standard CD. Newer CD-ROM drives don't seem to
have these issues, or at least none that I have ran into do. My suggestion is to
get a newer CD-ROM drive if you plan on using CD-R disk in the computer. 40x
CD-ROM's can be found in the $35 range and should have no problems reading
CD-R's.

Steven

Alan Eugene Davis wrote:

> My query is this: what compatibility problems will one  expect between
> home-burned CD-Rs and regular CD-ROM drives?  What do my symptoms
> suggest?  Do they suggest that I need to clean these drives?  (Guess I
> should go ahead and buy a cleaning disk...)
>
> Alan

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org