From:
Keith Morse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:01:58 -0700
On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Max Timchenko wrote:

> Hello Keith,
>
>   As I remember, ES1688 is a SB-PRO clone and as such won't play 16-bit
> sound unless the driver converts... Could be that "native" sounds are
> 8bit, and "non-native" are 16bit? Also check for freq. and stereo
> differences. My friend used ES1688 on IRQ7 because he has no printer,
> so he doesn't need a LPT port :) ,no problems like you describe,
> however.
>
>   Not much of a solution, but the friend had so many problems with
> ES1688 that he trashed it and bought a SBLive-Value, and is happy ever
> since.

We, like many other OEM builders, took cost as the biggest factor when
purchasing pc components.  In fact, this is why we stopped using the
various alternatives and standardized on Creative Labs products.  Support
effort dropped significantly after that descision.  And maybe this is the
correct solution.

>   How do you divide WIndows' sounds to "native" and "non-native"?

Completely arbitrary.  I considered, for that post, "native" to be ones
used in sound schemes and "non-native" for all others.

When trying to diagnose the problem, this seemed to be the only
demarkation between what could be heard and what could not.

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html