From:
Ben Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 17:23:07 -0400
There is a "noide" entry that gets written in the registry for some reason
when Windows doesn't load the protected mode drivers.   Before you try any
extraordinary measures  look in the registry and see if you have this entry.
It's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\
SERVICES\VXD\IOS . Look for a NOIDE entry.

You can just remove this entry and reboot.  Windows ought to install
protected mode drivers.

Ben Moore