From:
Guido Piraino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:30:30 -0400
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to pass on some information that might save you some hassle if you
are installing newer PC's on a network.

I was working closely with IBM in the past few weeks as we've been imaging
and rolling out new workstations. A problem arose on our WAN, where if
someone relocated with a laptop, they were unable to release their previous
IP and obtain a new one at the location (despite the lease time being reset
on the server). It is also important to mention that the computer systems
are using Windows NT and all domain users are defined as Power Users.

The team could not understand what the problem was, so we contacted IBM
Senior Support - after an hour or so, they deemed the problem to be a
Microsoft issue. So, we called Microsoft. After two hours on the phone with
them, they asked if they could log our call and call us back the following
day. They never called.

I started to go through every possible scenario and after a couple of days,
it dawned on me - WAKE ON LAN. IBM had recommended that we use Wake On LAN,
so that we could later utilize their UMA and SMA software to do remote
installations. I turned it off on one laptop and did the appropriate tests.
Everything is working great now. The Wake On Lan feature captures the IP
address so the Administrator can locate the system remotely - so it almost
defeats the purpose of using DHCP, one could stick to Static IP's.

We have since phoned IBM and Microsoft, so this answer now sits in their
Knowledge Base. I thought I'd save anyone who might go down this road a few
dollars and tell you the fix, since I found it. Perhaps it will help.

Guido Piraino

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org