Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 23:33:09 +0200
Hello Joan,

  I am by no means a "Double 'E'" expert (what does this mean?), but
I'll try to answer some of your questions using common sense and some
knowledge that I have, and other members of the list will sure add
much more.

Thursday, July 15, 1999, 4:19:17 AM, you wrote:

JR> [1]Why is it important to have (earth) ground connected to one's
JR> computer or any appliance, equipment, etc. that has three-pronged AC
JR> plugs?

[1] Why is it important to connect appliances, equipment, etc. to
earth?

Because grounding appliances prevents you from electric shock if the
voltage somehow gets on the case. If it does, it goes to the ground,
and (typically) the fuse goes out notifying you something's wrong. If
the appliance wasn't grounded and with the voltage on the case, you
can get electric shock very easily.

Some of the equipment (especially on higher-than-consumer level) also
have a special grounding connection outside the plug.

JR> [2]Is it the case that earth ground plays an integral role in the
JR> engineering and function of any surge suppressor, UPS, or line
JR> conditioner?

I think the ground plays the role of "true zero voltage point" for voltage
measuring in these devices.

JR> [3]If someone is moving into a home whose outlets are not grounded (to
JR> do so would be very costly as the concrete foundation is not raised),
JR> how might they protect their sensitive electronic equipment like
JR> computers and peripherals?

They can connect the equipment to anything grounded -- water/heating
metal pipes, for example.

JR> [5]Can one assume that, if an appliance, computer, etc. has a
JR> three-pronged outlet that its circuitry is designed to exploit the
JR> advantages of earth ground in the event of over-current or over-voltage?

Certainly not. As a rule, only line-conditioning and UPS devices
exploit the ground to this matter -- and you should check the manuals
to ensure they do.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]