From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:02:25 -0500
With the FIC 503+ (MVP3 Via chipset), a similar problem occurs when
motherboard PCI to AGP bridge function is not installed BEFORE video drivers
are installed.  Then, you still may have problems until DirectX is most
current.  I use the revised Diamond drivers, not the Nvidia drivers, for
this card.  Also, Diamond recommends setting BIOS on AGP 1x and 4MB
aperture.  Other BIOS settings, such as palette snoop and cascade, can
interfere with this video card as well.  Finally, refresh rate setting can
affect which display settings work and which do not (optimal versus adapter
default).  I know someone using the DFI BV3+ with 1MB and a Viper 550
successfully, so it CAN be done.
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]
> From:         James Kerr[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject:      [PCBUILD] 550 & SS7 board
> OK, it seems I need some help here, I have a friends PC here, the mobo is
> DFI BV3+ 1MB cache, he is using a diamond viper 550 16MB AGP, he said that
> when he first setup the machine the card worked fine, then for some reason
> he reinstalled win98, after that he could no longer get the windows to run
> any higher then 1024x768@16colors or 640x480@16k colors, as of yet I
> cannot
> figure out why it wont do it either, this is what I have done so far, I
> have
> tried newer viper drivers, tried Nvidia drivers, deleted the entire list
> of
> devices from device manager and dyn data from registry, flashed the mobo
> BIOS, replaced the card, replaced the mobo, now I blew out win 98 and
> installed it again, and guess what? I still have the same problem, has
> anyone heard of some kind of incompatibility like this? TIA

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org