From:
Mike Buraczewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:33:16 -0500
Ben

I just finished up with the exact same thing on my son's modem.  The thing
that finally told me that we had a snafu modem was that when we plugged the
telephone into the modem, it would give a dial tone, but would not hang up.
Everything else tested out fine.

I suggest that you replace the modem.

Mike Buraczewski