From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 1999 10:23:25 -0400
This is almost identical to a problem we discussed last week.
Here is a repost of what I suggested to the other member.

> Here are two items for you to try.
> First run the scandisk program to make sure there are no
> problems with the hard drive (or the files stored on it)
> Click START -- RUN and then type SCANDISK into
> the white box and press ENTER to activate the program.
> In the dialog box that next appears, make sure there
> is a blue bar for drive C.  (If not click on C: in the list)
>
> Next click the circle next to THOROUGH and click the
> box next to AUTOMATICALLY FIX.  Now click START.
> Depending on the size of your hard drive, this process
> will run for 15-90 minutes. Once the process completes,
> shut down your PC and then restart it and see if the A:
> disk drive works.
>
> If the above does not fix the problem then:
> Remove/delete the floppy driver and let windows reinstall it.
> First start the WINDOWS explorer and change the setting
> to view hidden files.  On the menu bar, click VIEW -- FOLDER
> OPTIONS and then click the VIEW tab.  In the white box, click
> the circle next to SHOW ALL FILES and then the OK
> button at the bottom.

> Now go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32 and delete the
> file IOS.VXD  This may cause your PC to lock up (frozen).
>  If it does, just shut off the power and after 3-5 seconds turn
> it back on.
> If it did not lock up, then do a normal shut down and restart it.
>
> When you start back up, windows will ask you to insert your
> WIN 98CD.  Follow all the instructions you see on the screen.
>
> If this does not solve your problem, then you will need to
> reinstall windows.

Good luck,
Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====