From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 1997 11:49:23 -0400
As I understand it, the paleodiet is based on two theoretical
pillars.  The first is the low-carb pillar, according to which an
excess of dietary carbohydrate, especially in calorically dense
forms, causes elevated insulin levels which in turn cause various
health problems.  This part is at least familiar, if still
controversial in many quarters.

The other pillar is the alien protein theory, according to which
the persence of alien proteins in the diet causes immune
which we have had relatively little evolutionary time to adapt
are more likely to be considered alien by our body's immune
system.  On page 83 of _NeanderThin_, Ray writes, "As less of the
body's energy is being consumed by immunological responses to
alien proteins, more immunological resources are available to
combat disease not attributable to dietary proactices."  I
presume that this freed-up energy is also available for other
things.  Paraphrasing, the constant exposure to alien proteins
causes the body to be stuck in a "red alert" condition of the
immune system, and this in turn leads to a diminished immune
response and the emergence of autoimmune disorders.

So far, so good.  What I don't understand at all is the claim on
page 59 that "Even though you might be giving up a great many
favorite foods, keep in mind the benefits of eating only food you
are design to eat, as well as the fact that on this diet you can
eat as much as you want of those foods which are acceptable."
That is, what I don't understand is how this diet circumvents the
process whereby excess calories of whatever form are converted to
body fat.

In a sense, I know that this is possible, since people who eat
too many calories don't gain weight indefinitely, but only until
they reach a body fat "set point," after which the caloric
surplus doesn't seem to do anything anymore.  Where does it go?
And of course we all know one of those rare people who can
consume seemingly unlimited amounts of food without gaining
weight.  How does this happen, and how can the paleodiet make us
like them?

Todd Moody