From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 11:29:00 -0400
On Mon, 6 Sep 1999, Wally Day wrote:

> 100 sounds good. But I would keep in mind that the
> carb level *may* have varied greatly with the seasons.
> I kinda have the "habit" of increasing my carbs during
> the warmer months and decreasing them during the
> cooler months. It's never been a conscious thing with
> me - I did it even before paleo. It just seemed kinda natural.

I wonder if this has something to do with activity patterns.
Fast-twitch muscle fibers must burn glucose, and they are needed
most for short-duration, high-intensity exertion.  As anyone
knows who has lifted weights, muscle glycogen is quickly
depleted, and must be replenished from the liver's stores of it.
On an extremely low-carb diet (e.g., ketogenic) the liver also
becomes depleted and glycogen stores must be replenished by means
of gluconeogenesis.  This takes time.  Perhaps the summer weather
is conducive to more glucose-demanding activities and so you
spontaneously notch up your carb intake to accommodate.

Todd Moody