NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 May 1999 15:53:03 EDT
I think the calcium requirements for children recently changed, I think it
used to be 800 mg. per day but now it may be higher.  Maybe someone else can
tell you for sure.

I try to use calcium rich foods and calcium fortified foods and drinks to
help with meeting the calcium requirements.  Orange juices are a possibility,
there are several varieties that are fortified with calcium.  Some juices and
drinks are fortified as well.  I use Minute Maid juices fortified with
calcium but those do have either corn syrup or sugar in them.  Gerber
Graduates sells 100% fruit juices that are fortified with calcium that may be
an alternative for you.

If you are looking for a calcium supplement, I found one that is free of
lactose and aspartame but it does contain sorbitol.  It is very palatable for
a child and is Cherry flavored.  I get it at GNC. Chewable Calcium Drops.
It is totally free of milk, sugar, starch, artificial color, artificial
flavor, preservatives, sodium, soy, wheat, dairy and yeast.   One tablet
contains 600 mg. of calcium.

Lynda