CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 09:07:53 -0700
on 4/14/00 3:27 AM, Lawrence Libby at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I do believe the the anti-chioce terrorist wing does consider the doctors who
> perform abortions murders and has "executed" a few.
Lawrence (or do you go by Larry?): I was careful to refer to the *women* who
undergo abortions. If abortion is murder, as the hypocrites insist, then the
woman who has one has solicited murder. Normally solicitation of murder is
the kind of aggravating factor that, in the US, gets you the chair. But no
one--and I am certain of this--on the anti-abortion Right has uttered one
peep about the inescapable conclusion of their "logic." (Once during the
1988 Presidential debates, someone asked Bush about merely "punishing" women
who had abortions. Bush hemmed and hawed and came down on the side of some
undefined punishment. The next day was spent furiously backpedaling from
that statement. It was quite comical, in a sick-reflection-on-our-society
kind of way.)

Of course, there are a lot more pregnant women than abortion providers. And
pregnant women vote. But that would be to suggest their moral calculations
are skewed by political expediency. That would be most unfair.

Cordially,

Tresy