CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Robert G. Grimes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 23:55:33 -0400
Tresy,

All one has to do to evaluate this problem is explore the effects of Testosterone!
The aggression engendered by the hormone is tremendous and the folks who use it (or
its precursors) to increase their musculature (Tyson for instance) also have great
problems with their aggression.  I have no doubt that the old image of the cave man
with his club zonking out the gal and "having his way," is a pretty truthful
rendition.  The interesting thing is that we now think that the same effects cause
homosexuality, both in males and females, i.e., excessive testosterone exposure
while being carried by the mother.  Anyway, it certainly is no excuse for such
behavior but I have no doubt that the road to the present was paved with violent and
aggressive conquests that today would be called rape.  I even remember a friend in
high school who wore thick glasses and, because of his habits, was nicknamed "the
blind raper."  I had him with me one night on a double date and he took his date and
a blanket out of the car and went elsewhere.  Later I heard screams and hollering
and thought that I might have to call the police.  They came back to the car with
the girl a little worse for the wear but Bill was feeling pretty good.  I never had
him with me again...  It was a little too chilling to be close to...

Cordially,

Bob

Tresy Kilbourne wrote:

> Was it Oliver Sachs who wrote about the guy with Tourette's who found relief
> from, and an outlet for, his condition in jazz drumming? Apparently the
> neuromotor condition that drove him to shout out obscenities uncontrollably
> and exhibit the other Tourette's tics, also impelled his sense of rhythm. He
> would actually go OFF his Tourette's meds before a gig so he would really be
> "out there" for the show. Amazing stuff.
> Snipped for brevity

I'm an old drummer, by the way, but don't have a set of traps at the present time...

--
Bob Grimes

http://members.aol.com/bob5266/
http://pages.hotbot.com/edu/bobinjax/
http://www.phonefree.com/Scripts/cgiParse.exe?sID=28788
Jacksonville, Florida
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]

Man is not in control, but the man who knows he is not in control is more
in control...

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore....."