CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Robert G. Grimes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 11:29:33 -0500
Andrej Grubacic wrote:

> *** ex-yu-a-lista ***
>
> Who is behind Human Rights Watch?
>
>           The backgrounds of the Board members at Human Rights Watch
>           (HRW), Europe-Central Asia section, with info on HRW and its
>           sources of funding. HRW is founded on the idea that the values of
>           the United States are universal, and that the US must impose them
>           on the rest of the world. As the largest human-rights lobby, it is
>           partly responsible for the increasingly expansionist US foreign
> policy.

Well, Andrej certainly convinced me that the folks in HRW are probably one of
the finest groups I have ever seen listed.  And to note that Soros who has
personally sunk one heck of a lot of funds into overseas investments, including
Russia (where he apparently "took a bath" even though he has been roundly
criticized in the US for his interests in that country), not to mention the Dr.
Seuss Foundation (now who could be more innocent than that).  Some of those
names are the finest of folks who have dedicated their lives to foreign
interests and the relationships of the US.  So, you sold me Andrej, that is
indeed a high minded group although I think you had other ideas in mind...

As to the Islamic influences referred to in the Sudan, where traditional slavery
business is continued to this day, including the enslaving of other muslims
(although we must not forget that Black Americans, in an attempt to prevent some
of the things in their history, have "spurred on" an increase in the selling of
slaves by offering to buy them out of slavery.  Those engaged in the business
simply enslave more and sell their freedom to the well-meaning Black Americans
who then think they have accomplished something "good.")  It has always amazed
some that these folks in America have embraced the Muslim religion, apparently
forgetting who enslaved them and sold them in the first place.  Of course, they
sold them to white slave traders who then sold them to Americans who were no
better morally than the original capturers.

Needless to say, I agree with just about everything Tresy has posted...

Well, thanks again, Andrej, as I would have never looked all of those fine
people up and researched their excellent recommendations.  I was really
impressed...

Cordially,

Bob

(Can we get back to linguistics?)

--
Bob Grimes

http://members.aol.com/bob5266/
http://pages.hotbot.com/edu/bobinjax/
http://www.phonefree.com/Scripts/cgiParse.exe?sID=28788
Jacksonville, Florida
[log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]   [log in to unmask]

Man is not in control, but the man who knows he is not in control is more
in control...

Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore....."