C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 19:54:35 -0500
Thanks Anee for the links about TES. My current questions are concerned with
the exclusivity of Mayatek as E-stim providers. I am disturbed by the fact
that the therapists who go to the course are asked to sign a paper stating
that they will only order from Mayatek. I have found 2 other companies who
manufacture these estim units. One used to manufacture for Mayatek and the
other now manufactures for them. The cost differences are great. Mayatek's
$1225 and the other two: $695 & $795!!!!! No wonder insurance does not want
to pay for it, not only the prices but the fact that Karen Pape who
developed the protocols is the owner(?) of Mayatek. Most of the journal
articles available are either by her or from her clinic, the Magee Clinic in
Toronto. Insurance Co. base their lists of what is covered etc on common
medical opinions. Things that are well tested and documented are often
considered medically acceptable to insurance. Has anyone else found this to
be true? Is anyone else using a e stim unit that was provided by other than
Mayatek? I am afraid there are children out there that could be helped by
this treatment and are being denied because of a political issue. TES is
approved by the FDA, yet insurance is reluctant.

Barb