AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kaleem Caire <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 11:59:30 -0600
This is pathetic (see below).  And so many people want us to believe that discrimination has disappeared or "gotten better".  I used to agree with Gil Scott Herron, but times have changed and the revolution must be televised.  Please tell your sons and daughters that the struggle must continue.  I see too many young folk resting on the laurels about issues like this.  What's worse, the zero tolerance policies in our schools and the criminalization of youth in our society have taken away just about every avenue they have to protest, e.g., have a sit in, get expelled for a year or more; take over the administrative offices at the high school, get kicked out, arrested, fined, and when you can't pay the fine, spend 30 days or more in juvenile detention or adult jail where you are robbed of your spirit every day; write letters to the press and seek assistance from our growing comfortable cadre of washed out, self described former activists, and get consumed by frustration from the apathetic response you get.  Beyond that, most young people seem to have little concern for or knowledge of all the B.S. that goes on around them.  Every major positive change that has occured in this country has in some way been facilitated through or with our youth. Where are they now? Where is your child right now?  Are we proud because they are working at IBM or getting a Ph.D.?  Cool, but what are they doing to give back and make this world a better place?

How many of us have instilled in our children the spirit of JUSTICE?  I we fail to root this within them, then we can forget about them thinking about us after we pass the mantle.  How many of our elder activists and leaders have some young folk in training right behind them?  Without the thirst for JUSTICE, the passion for equality, and the compassion for human suffering seething through their blood, its no wonder so many of us young folk choose to go to the party instead of plan...for the movement and the change.  Think about this as you read about the next tragedy that's happened to our young.  Peace.

Kaleem M. S. Caire
Special Projects Director
Wisconsin Center for Academically
Talented Youth (WCATY)