Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Rosie Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 1999 21:54:45 -0800
You didn't mention if you got an error message or a blank screen when the computer tried to boot up.   If you got an error message, that may give you further clues as to what is wrong.   Did  the computer successfully do a memory check and report the correct hard drive?
Perhaps, you somehow lost the CMOS configuration.

If that isn't it, you might want to triple check the cables again.   I've had the same problem in the past and I thought I had double checked the IDE cables.   It seemed like the 3rd (or 4th) time was a charm and it worked.  As I recall, I may have also changed the cable before it worked again.   I don't know how fragile cables are, and I'm not sure if that was a problem or if I had just been missing a pin when installing the cable.  (Note:  the cable had been working just prior to
opening the case.    It isn't always easy for me to see those pins in such a small space so I suspect that I may have misinstalled the cable - or I may have not put the right end at pin 1.)

Other things to consider is whether or not you were you grounded when opening up the computer.   I hear that static electricity can do nasty things to the computer.

Also, has your daughter mentioned hearing strange noises from her hard drive recently?   Does the hard drive continue to spin or sound like it's trying to read information?   Can you hear the power supply?

Maybe using a boot up disk from your floppy will give you any more information.

Those are just some things I would try.   HTH

Rosie Richter

> Even the hard disk spun up but that is as far as the boot process went. I'm at a loss as to what happened. What should I be trying to do to fix it? It's a clone P133 with 32MB running Windows95. I tried reseating cards and IDE cables. The user's guide was no help. It didn't have any troubleshooting help.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org