Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 05:13:29 -0800
From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
On 23 Sep 99, at 20:03, Ted Neitz wrote:

> I'm planning on upgrading my system to an AMD K6-2/450 with a FIC
> 503+ motherboard.  This motherboard also supports SIMMs for RAM
> memory as well as SDRAM. Since the price of 128MB SDRAM (PC 100)
> has doubled within the last few weeks, I would like to use my
> existing SIMMs (32 MB EDO 60ns non-parity), until the prices of
> SDRAM memory drop (feel there will be some price reductions within
> the next three months).
>
> If anyone has had experiences with this or just want to share
> their thoughts on this matter, I'm interested to know if there is
> going to be a stability problem. and what type of a performance
> impact (degradation) I can expect by using my existing slower
> memory.

  The SIMMs are simply not going to be fast enough to keep up with
the 100MHz FSB expected by the /450 CPU.  They may not go much past
the typical 66MHz, which would *probably mean running that CPU at 300
MHz for now:  4.5x66 rather than 4.5x100.

David G

  [I too have a 503+, and have experienced some "issues" with Win98
SE on it.  It's currently waiting for me to install NT or Linux on it
instead.]

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html