Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 02:11:03 -0800
From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
On 11 Sep 99, at 2:16, Peh Eng Hao wrote:

> My eyes are becoming worse after looking at the CRT monitor
> for 3 to 5 hours.

> By using LCD or Plasma monitor, will these type of monitor harm my
> eyes?

  Your discomfort is likely associated with the "flicker" as the
screen image is refreshed.  Since LCD and plasma display devices use
very different display technologies from CRTs, it's very possible
that switching to one of these will provide the relief you want.

> Which one of these monitor is better in performance and more expensive?
> How much does it roughly cost for a 17" and 19" monitors?

  These other technologies do tend to be expensive, though.  You may
want to explore whether a better-quality CRT, configured for a higher
refresh frequency (this might require a better video card, too) may
provide relief for a lower price.

  Note that on a CRT, the individual colour elements are much smaller
than a pixel, and so different resolutions are easily accomodated.
On most/many LCD displays, there is a fixed 1:1 association of image
pixels to display colour elements, and so shifting to a lower
resolution may get you a smaller image in the middle of the screen,
instead of a large image with coarser detail.  This could be a factor
if, for instance, you play a lot of games, many of which run only in
640x480 or 800x600 resolutions.

> Could you name me the brands of these monitors which are among the
> best?

  I couldn't; maybe someone else can.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org