Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 23:04:31 +1000
I have seen this strange RAM report on some 2nd hand mobo. Just two days ago, I
had to fix an old P133 with no name mobo, when I put 2x16M simm in, it reported
12M, 4x8 it reported 16M, 2x16 and 2x8 it could correctly report 48M. I guess
your one is one of 'em. I still have no idea why those mobo don't see the right
size.

Jun Qian

Bryan Tyson wrote:

> In a message dated 9/7/99 10:42:32 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Mike writes:
>
> << I noticed that my friend had 48meg of ram installed but mem check at boot
> only reported 40. >>
>
> I wonder if Mike's case is something similar to the following:
>
> I have a 486 right now with the exact same situation. It was a secondhand
> mobo, so I did not have the manual. I was using 3 16 MB SIMMs (48 MB total)
> because that's what I had on hand. Finally I looked online and found out that
> on my board there is no way to use 3 16 MB SIMMs and have all 48 MB be
> recognized. You can have 48 MB, but not with 3 16 MB SIMMs. On this
> particular board, if I wanted 48 MB, I'd have to use 2 16s and 2 8s. So I
> just have the three sticks in there, but one of them is seen as 8 MB by the
> system, for a usable total of 40 MB.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org