From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:26:21 +0200
Ken Stuart wrote:
>>I wrote: 10 ounces (280grams) of meat per day "minimal adequate"
>>for one woman?
>>I get from Nutrition Analysis Tool at
>> http://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~food-lab/nat/mainnat.html
>>for 10 oz of BEEF;GROUND, EXTRA LEAN, COOKED, BAKED, WELL DONE
>>for a 25 y old woman:
>>   Nutri     Total    Rec.   %Rec.
>>-----------+--------+------+------
>>  Calories  776.79    2200   35.31%
>>Protein(g)    85.9      50   171.8%

>Well, this Nutrition Analysis Tool has a slanted view of adequate

>protein.
>To specify 50 grams of protein "for a 25 year old woman" is pretty

>silly.
>What if she is a 6 foot 6 inch WBA player?
>Should she have the same amount of protein as a 4 foot 10 inch

>librarian?
The Nutrition Analysis Tool protein needs are listed as 50grams
protein for that woman, which gives 0.83 grams per kilo weight if you
assume that woman to have 60 kg of bodyweight.

This is a rather conservative (high) protein need assumption.
German and most European recommendations are similar,
and RDA is similar too. This NAT seems to use the RDA requirements.

>Check out http://www.zonehome.com/zlib0001.htm for a discussion of

>protein requirements.
I've already seen this argumentation of the "Zone" diet.
These people argue to justify a rather high protein intake of up to

1.8 grams per kg (i note that much is opinion
and that its not written from a doctor).
I found ... caloric "needs" in there.

Through scientific publications I've come to the finding that the
need of protein _as_a_amino_acid_source_without_using_it_as_a_fuel_
is in the area of .4 grams per kg bodyweight *if* of ideal
composition(meat is 67 percent ideal... see below).
To make up for less ideal amino acid compositions
this value has been raised to to .8 grams per kg bodyweight in RDA.
With this amount, a human can easily stay in *nitrogen balance*,
provided enough fuels (fat and carbs) are available.
Anything more of protein results in increased nitrogen excretion.
I found http://medtstgo.ucdavis.edu/endo/lecture/metProtNit.htm
as a a conservative educative source of information on protein usage.
(search for "balance" or for Figure 38)

Protein intakes higher than this *are* used as a fuel,
a fuel that is *needed* to yield the needed carbs
if they are not in the food.
Brain and blood cells *need* about 180 g glucose per day.
If it doesn't come from food -  is has to come from protein.
This is also a way to get fuel-calories - but a costly one
(in the double words sense :-) ).

Carbs from protein have the disadvantage of disturbing the
acid balance and puting strain on the kidneys (excreting
acids, ammonia and urea).

regards

Amadeus
(most fuels from vegetable fats - paleo ultra lite)

Protein quality, compared to the best composition found
by experiment with normal living persons -students
(in realy useful amino acid percentage):
potatoe w. egg 100 %
milk w. wheat   80 %
maize w.beans   74 %
egg             74 %