BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:27:58 -0400
Bellieve it or not, in the late 1970s I reviewed a mortar spec from a
masonry restoration contractor in Buffalo, a firm that had been in business
since about 1906.  their spec included "iron filings" which I had never seen
before.  the owner swore by them, saying that when they rusted it expanded
the mortar a pressed it up against the bricks so the joints were tight.  I
pointed out the problem of staining, and the eventual disappearance of the
iron leaving voids.  He said (as all contractors do) "no one has ever
complained to me about that."
I had him delete the iron filings.

Michael (I can't make this stuff up)