VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:48:31 -0500
A few weeks ago I shared an article from the Cincinnati Inquirer by
Deborah Kendrick that told about the audio described funeral of Joann
Fischer.  I made some comments at the beginning of the article that
should be clarified, after corresponding with participants there that
day.  The funeral was closed casket and nothing about Joann Fischer's
body was described.

Joann's legacy is the organization Accessible Arts, which is dedicated to
opening culture to people with disabilities in central Ohio, primarily
through audio description.  While some blind activists may raise the
prospect that all funerals attended by a blind person should be audio
described, it is not the mission of Accessible Arts nor likely the intent
of Joann Fischer I believe to advance such a public policy argument
through the funeral.  It was a unique funeral for a unique lady who took
an idea and through her leadership turned it into a method of cultural
access that many blind people enjoy today on network television, at movie
theaters in selected cities across America, and at certain live
performances.

We should build upon Joann Fischer's legacy and endeavor to open up
cultural events and opportunities to blind persons.  Life is more than
eating, sleeping, and working.  Joann had the courage to believe that
full integration of the blind into cultural events and community
activities was possible and showed how it could be done.  We have the
opportunity to build upon this life of service and create the accessible
society.

Kelly