VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fitzgerald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 21:37:55 -0600
C.B.R.C. TORCH
 December2000

 BUT IT'S ALL SO EASY!
 By Duane Christianson

      Note: This is the first in a series of articles about what
 the Computer Access Training department at Hines (known locally
 as CATS) is doing with speech-input technology to control
 computers. Since I am supposed to be the department's guru on
 this subject, I get to make my observations as well as
 confessions about this kind of technology public.

 I admit it. I'm getting lazy. I don't want to sit up straight for
 hours in an office chair anymore in front of my personal computer
 (PC) and pound away on the keyboard. I want comfort, access to
 the fridge, and a pot of my favorite English tea. As a matter of
 fact, I want to sit on the couch and talk to my PC the way
 Captain Kirk talks to his computer on the bridge of the
 Enterprise. Yes. I want a lot, and I'm not going to get it any
 time soon.

 I can tell you, however, what I can get right now. And that is
 useful speech-input technology. It can control computers,
 specifically microcomputers running under the "Windows 98" or
 "Windows NT" operating systems, but it involves compromises. They
 force me to think about what I really need, not just what I want.
 All rehabilitation technology involves compromise, and this is no
 exception.

 The CATS program considers training only those visually impaired
 or blind veterans for the speech-input programs if it is
 determined that they have serious physical problems using
 computer keyboards. So far, all of those who have been accepted
 have been able to at least press a couple keys on the keyboard.
 This has meant that we have not had to create a system that can
 be operated completely hands-free. Such systems for visually
 impaired persons are quite difficult to control and to learn.

 We make sure that our students have the skills to use speech-
 input: They must remember specific verbal commands, have speech
 patterns the computer can translate into English, hear what the
 computer is saying to them or see what is displayed on the
 screen. They also need to be able to think through the problems
 that inevitably develop.

 At the moment, we are using a program called "Dragon Naturally
 Speaking Professional." (Don't worry about the spelling -
 computer companies have a bad habit of joining words together.)
 Because we lack a mandate to do research into using other
 software programs that handle speech input, we have worked with
 the best one that we know about. It is good and is getting
 better, but don't expect that it is easy. Captain Kirk would have
 a tantrum if he had to use it. But in "Star Trek" he could get
 the Enterprise computer to create a Beef Wellington dinner along
 with a good Rhine wine out of some kind of energy soup. We just
 want documents that are spelled and formatted correctly.

 When we first began working with speech input several years ago,
 back in the days before Microsoft "Windows" had taken over more
 than 85% of the world's microcomputers, we used a product called
 "Dragon Dictate." It was slow and understood only one word at a
 time - maybe. If you happened to be totally blind, you had to
 listen to each word being spoken and then spelled after you said
 it. At the moment, we are using "continuous speech recognition."
 That only means that you can say an entire phrase rather than
 just a single word without freaking out the computer. Both speeds
 of recognition and accuracy have increased enormously. Words are
 spoken but they are not spelled back to you as you say them,
 however, so there is enormous pressure on the computer user to
 listen for odd pronunciations by the speech output system. That
 doesn't guarantee that the correct word has been placed on the
 screen. The words "to" (as in toward),"too" (as in also),"two"
 (as the written number), and"2" (as in the Arabic numeral), all
 sound the same. Now, before I scare you too much, I should say
 that it possible to go back and check how some- thing is spelled,
 but that requires the will to go back and check.

 There are some wonderful myths about speech input technol- ogy.
 Here is my short list of myths:
 1. It is easier to learn than to type on a keyboard.
 2. The computer knows the word you want and its correct spelling,
 so you don't need spelling skills.
 3. It will figure out the punctuation and grammar, so you don't
 need to worry about all that stuff you hated when taking English
 in grammar school.
 4. It won't respond to or write profanity.
 5. You can control any software program with it.
 6. It will work with any speech output or large print output
 program.
 7. You can take old tape recordings and have them automatically
 turned into text.

 All of these things are false. I did say "myths," didn't I? There
 should be no surprise here; you still have to be smarter than the
 computer. And the great thing is that you are!

 Now, just to give you an idea of how seriously we treat this
 technology, let me list a few of my favorite rules for dealing
 with Dragon  System's "Naturally Speaking" or any other dragons,
 for that matter: Pause. Think. Think very carefully. Plan. Don't
 panic. Assign panic to someone else! NEVER rush. Absolutely
 NEVER! If you don't the Dragon will chase you, catch you, and eat
 you up slowly, surely and painfully.

 Now, what in the world could I mean by the last crazy warning?
 Well, Dragon Naturally Speaking listens to what you say and takes
 a good guess, only a guess that you, as the computer user, have
 to verify or correct. Basically, Dragon tries to match the
 English noises you make with written English words. You want to
 make sure that Dragon types "cat" when you say "cat." And you
 want to make sure that Dragon doesn't save a memory of the
 mistake so that "cat" is remembered as "rat." Now, you see why
 talking to a dragon can be dangerous.

 Dragon is confronted by a lot of problems from the start. I'll
 just mention one in this paragraph, and that is words that rhyme.
 Let's say you said, "rain" (as in precipitation), but Dragon
 typed in "reign" (as what kings are supposed to do for a living).
 Oh, there are worse choices. You can come up with your own list
 of rhyming words. English is full of them.

 There are also what one might consider phrases that remind you
 almost of rhyming. Let me give you a few examples of the phrases
 that one of my students said. A spoken phrase is followed in
 Italics by what the computer heard the student say.

 grounded in dreams
 (grounded in geraniums)
 a bird is singing
 (burgers sinking)
 fraternity
 (truck 19)
 lecturing us on
 (luxury us on)
  I've rarely
 (highbrow early)

 And now let me put two nightmarish sentences together for you.
 (They appear in Italics.)
  "The I.D. of a sit e is vary auld. ltjest hap ends to be the
 whey most of OZ live in the twentieth cent cherry." Now, who
 could be so stupid as to write like that? Well, a computer, of
 course!

 What are the real sentences? "The idea of a city is very old. It
 just happens to be the way most of us live in the Twentieth
 Century."

 So what do we suggest to help avoid such problems? Enunciate!
 Enunciate! Enunciate. After that, check your work carefully as
 you proceed because Dragon learns your speech patterns, and you
 don't want it to learn the wrong lessons. Also assume that you
 are talking to a hall full of people, not just to a friend. Speak
 clearly and distinctly. Friends can understand when you are tired
 or ticked off or kind-of mumbling through sentences. Friends can
 also understand your particular dialect of English. People
 understand you in quite a different way than computers are
 prepared to.

 Make no mistake. Dialect is significant. Any dialect of English
 that de-emphasizes word endings or produces an inordinate number
 of rhyming words can cause a lot of problems. I have had students
 who swore on a stack of computer manuals that they said "desks"
 when they only said "desk." I have also had students whose
 pronunciation of "fund," "fun" and "fond" were indistinguishable.
 And let's not forget the weak verbs. If you can't hear the
 difference between "dive" and "dived," the comppter won't either.
 It is not smart enough yet to figure out what you intend from the
 context. But stay tuned during the next few years for
 improvements.

 What can we do with this technology? Think about writing and
 editing before you think of absolutely anything else. That is the
 basic part of any CATS program, and we won't abandon it as the
 core of our training in favor of the jazzier side of computing,
 namely, surfing the Web or sending E-mail. Now, you know why one
 of our students got a pretty curt answer from me when he said he
 wanted to use Dragon in a Chat Room on the Internet. If you say
 the right thing, but the system gets it wrong, can you ever seem
 like an escapee from a mental institution! This Italicized text
 is really not a good opening line:

 "Hay, sweet Art, what's year @?"

 Translated, this should be "Hey, sweet heart, what's your sign?"

 Of course, we teach speech- input one-on-one rather than in
 classes. Imagine classes with everyone talking at once and the
 computers talking back.

 Now, you may think, after reading the previous paragraphs, that I
 am trying to scare you off from this kind of technology. I hope
 not, but I am providing some cautions. When I have the
 speech-input system working here with large print output, I can
 dictate faster than I can type - and I type at more than 60 words
 per minute. I am obliged to pay very close attention to what I am
 doing at any speed. What is my greatest difficulty?
 Thinking through what I really want to say and what I hope people
 will hear and understand. I'll bet that sounds familiar.

 The two articles concluding this series deal with how blind and
 partially sighted people can use speech-input technology. The
 article titles are: "I See What I'm Saying" and "Let the Dragon
 Tell You What You Said."
 ###