NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
jpreston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:26:20 -0400
Don,Thank you for your quick response about the archive files.  I enjoyed
going back through the archives and read all the January 1999 discussion
regarding NAET.  It was interesting the comments about continuing to avoid
milk even after taking NAET treatments.  I had already decided that, even
if there was some progress with the treatments if we decide to go that
route, that we would continue to practice total abstinence from even trace
amounts of milk products.

But as someone said back in January, accidents DO happen.

At my house, we are incredibly careful.  We read everything.  We give
careful instructions to restaurant workers,--at the few restaurants where
we feel it is safe to go.

Because my daughter is alive and well today, we can mentally go back to
what happened just last week and try to put the pieces together.  Since she
was only 8 months old she was diagnosed with a milk allergy.  It has gotten
increasingly worse. She is going to be 16 this summer.  She has had 4
anaphylactic reactions within the last 2 years.   For one of those, they
almost had to intibate her.   We have had the EpiPen with us each time.
She goes "down the tubes" quickly, and her typical reaction is within
minutes of injestion.

However, last week was a slightly different process and we were unsure what
caused it, but after much investigation of all the "variables," we have
determined that there was an accidental cross-contamination at Red Robin
Restaurant.  The entree she ordered she has had many times before, but this
time we think that a food preparer was just not careful enough.

Her reaction was 3 hours after dinner.  She started itching, her hands
turned red,then her arms, then her entire body.  Because it had been so
long since dinner, we didn't immediately think that she was having a milk
allergy reaction.  But then the other symptoms started--everything but the
hives.

(To give you a little history that will explain what follows:  Her
allergist had placed her on Claritin, 1 qd; and she is taking MaxAir and
Pulmicort daily for her asthma.  And just recently, she was put on Zantac
because of a possible hiatal hernia.)

 Our allergist said that the antihistimine probably took care of the
initial reaction, but was not powerful enough to cover the "second phase"
of the reaction which can occur from 6 to 12 or even 24 hours after
injestion. (Turns out that Claritin and Zantac are two meds often given for
the treatment of hives.)   She had difficulty breathing and chest pains.
Her itching started at 9:00 p.m.  By 9:30 p.m. we were at the e.r., having
already administered the EpiPen.  I also gave her 25 mg. Benedryl.  When we
got to the e.r., her vital signs checked out o.k.   The itching was still
present, she was still having trouble breathing and still having chest
pains.  They gave her 25 mg.more Benedryl, and administered a Heploc IV of
steroids.  Within an hour or so the symptoms began to subside and they
released her about midnight.  I was instructed to sleep with her so that
should she have any more problems I would be there immediately to help her.
 She was o.k. through the night and the next day.  She didn't require any
more meds.

I have to say that she was excellent in following procedure.  Her doctor
(and the ER doctor) said she did everything right.   The reason I am
sending this to the list is to let you know of one more incident that is
not quite true to the usual continuum.  I was almost fooled, thinking it
couldn't be a milk reaction since it was so long after dinner.  Even though
I know that food allergy reactions CAN be up to 24 hours after injestion,
FOR HER this was not the typical pattern.

BUt even though it was different, she knew how her body felt.  She really
took charge of the situation and "demanded" treatment.  I am truly proud of
her.

The very next day one of my friends, whose 2 children are severely allergic
to milk, plus a host of other things, asked me to consider investigating
NAET.  She had recently been told about it and planned to go see the NAET
practioner nearby.  Since my daughter is incredibly allergic to milk, I
figure that I owe it to her to at least check this out.  I would never
deliberately give her even the slightest bit of milk.  But I would love it
if she wouldn't die because of an accidental cross contamination or
"mistake."

Please give me your input.  This has been a traumatic week for us.