CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Martin W. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:34:33 +0200
David Griffin wrote:

> In a message dated 4/4/2002 11:22:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Don't put words into my mouth, I just did a quick search of my outgoing mail
> for the
> > text string "based on religion" and couldn't find any such string in any
> > message I've ever sent. So I have never used that phrase. Perhaps you mean
> > I said something along those lines, or perhaps you are interpreting what
> > you think I said. Putting the quotation marks in suggests I did use those
> > exact words though and I didn't.
>
> .....But what did Bill mean, later on in the same message, when he wrote:
>
> > The objective of the Israeli Government seems to be a Jewish state with a
> > large population of oppressed non-citizens confined to Palestinian ghettos.

I assume he meant something like this:

http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Zionism/zionism.html

> What does Bill mean by the word "Jewish" in this sentence? Can you tell us,
> please, Bill?

Since a person can not be both a Jew and a Catholic or both a Jew and a
Muslim, if a person is a Jew, his Jewishness, whatever it is, is based
on the Jewish religion, regardless of whether he believes in God and
goes to synagogue.  Whatever Jewish means, if you remove all references
to the Jewish religion from its meaning, it means nothing.

martin

--
Martin Smith               email: [log in to unmask]
Vollsveien 9               tel. : +47 6783 1188