CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:11:43 EST
In a message dated 3/11/00 12:34:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Oh, yes, and dont underestimate the value of good education: it helps you
>  not being funny in situations when you are discussing some serious stuff,
>  post-modernism, for instance:))))

    An interesting thing about the education industry at the collegiate level
is that a small minority of students attend and graduate from schools in the
hard sciences (physics, engineering, pre-med, chemistry, mathematics, etc.)
while the vast majority are shunted through intellectually mediocre
undemanding disciplines such as business admin or, even worse, the pseudo
science of sociology.  Upon graduation the former becomes a secretary or
office clerk and the latter -- well, I guess they sit around in coffee houses
telling each other how much better the world would be if only they were
allowed to control it, or they become government bureaucrats.  The only real
function of such a degree is to socially set oneself apart from the "common
folk" and to make a pretense of having an ability to discuss "serious stuff",
but then anything to elevate oneself above the common people, right Andy?;-)
Yours,
Issodhos
p.s.  You almost have me convinced.  Nobody on this list really exists.  We
are all the figment of the list owner's imagination.  Multiple egos, all.  A
veritable Feynman (sp?) electron ceaselessly traveling forward and backward
in time, singularly responsible for all the matter and energy that is our
Quantum universe.  What other explanation could there be for the caricature
of a (Yabadaba)abdoo and a Belgrade Billy Grubchek? ;-))