CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:13:23 -0400
>A concise proof that anarchism won't work?
>martin

I never understand when people make such comments.  Like "Communism doesn't
work" (because Russia fell).

How do you determine if something "works" or not?

Is survival of a system the only factor we consider?  If so, then slavery
"worked" for many centuries(I argue that it continues today).

Anarchy, or what I know of it, says that humans are capable of many things.
They can murder, hate and rape -- but, at the same time, can love, care and
help others.

So, Anarchy asks the question, what sort of society *do we want*?  If humans
can do a wide variety of things, then, in theory, we can make a society that
will promote the positive aspects of humanity, not the worst ones.

Currently, we have chosen a dark part.  Those who are "evil", are ready to
abandon their morals, etc, SUCCEED in life and have the highest living
standards.

Anarchy says that it isn't the people who are evil, but the institutions
that brings out the evilness in its members and then promotes the worst ones
to the highest places.

What I'm saying here is that if we want a fair, justice and moral society,
then anarchy seems to be the only path.  Of course, every ideology says they
will achieve this sort of society, but history proves them deadly wrong.

Milutin

--
Terror rains drenchin', quenchin', tha thrist of tha power dons
That five sided fist-a-gon