CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tresy Kilbourne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 15:44:49 -0700
Dan Koenig writes:

>Bill, this is a Chomsky list serve and Chomsky is a linguist.  The word
>genocide
>is derived from genos (Gr) for race (or gens for a people) and caedere (Lt)
>meaning to kill.  You seem to recognize this in qualifying your example of
>Australian  aborigines as "at least cultural genocide".  However, I think
>that as
>you recount the situation of Tasmanian aborigines actual genocide took place,
>though partly by indirection.  This, however, is not what has been
>happening in
>Kosovo, as horrific as what has been happening is.   This is what I
>pointed out,
>but you seem to have missed the point.  If  you don't see the difference,
>you are
>welcome to your view, wrong and linguistically incorrect though I think it
>may
>be.  Regardless, there is nothing to be gained by responding further on this
>point..
Nice try, but no cigar. This is the actual definition of "genocide" as it
is defined in international law:

"In the present Convention, genocide means any of the following acts
committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national,
ethnical,
racial or religious group, as such:
(a) Killing members of the group;
(b) Causing serious bodily or mental harm to members of the group;
(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to
bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part;
(d) Imposing measures intended to prevent births within the group;
(e) Forcibly transferring children of the group to another group."

If what is happening in Kosovo doesn't fit under this definition, I don't
know what does.

Tresy Kilbourne
Seattle WA
PGP Keys  <mailto:[log in to unmask]>