BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 08:02:49 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Joints, you say.  Have you ruled out ferrous cramps, anchors or armatures
>  buried in the stone?

I have not ruled anything out. The orange staining appears in an apparently
random distribution of repointed joints and within a week following
repointing. We are using a premixed dry custom mix and all the current work
has been done out of one bag. I am fairly certain we are not talking about
water impurity as I believe all of the sample joints were done with one mix.
The existing joints give no obvious, or as yet determined, indication of
where this will occur. We did take apart one corner of limestone and it was
not mentioned to me that any ferrous material, other than the rusted steel
column behind, was present. But this is not in the area where we are
repointing. As I get further into this I will update on BP.

][<en