AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Weller, Ben" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 08:04:07 -0500
A 12 member jury in Sierra Leone has found 16 persons guilty of treason
for collaborating with the AFRC military cabal.  Prominent among the 16
are Victor Foh, of the squandergate fame, Gipu Felix-George, former
director of the State radio, SLBS, Hilton Fyle, former presenter of the
BBC African Service, and Ibrahim Ben kargbo, editor of the New Citizen
newspaper.

The lesson(s) from this verdict should have vibrations across Africa
that the days when the military was seen as a proxy for the ballot box
are limited.  More importantly, for those of us--Liberia, Sierra Leone,
and I dare say Guinea Bissau-- who have experienced the ravages of rebel
wars, our temperament for people/civilians who co-habitate with
un-democratic political leaders, such as the military, for the sole
purpose en-riching themselves at the expense of the state, has been
seriously eroded, and they will from now on be subject to the full
pernicious force of the law. The fate of these civilians in Sierra Leone
is a case in point.

A post breakfast thought.....Have a good one!

Ben