AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ben Weller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:01:44 EST
New Year's resolutions are made to be kept and broken.  It is no surprise
that just five days into the new year 2000, that I should be forced to break
mine.  I had promised myself that I will not get into unnecessary ranting on
the N\ET, especially when the issues are contentious; I was wrong.

I am forced to respond to the "Africa has to get (a) new breed of humans"
article because I  find its contents tendentious and inane.  As stated, the
writer suggests that cannibalism and greed are unique to Africans because of
the pigmentation of our skin.  Incidents of cannibalism, I would suggest,
abound in places where non Africans live.  Suffice it to say that survivors
of plane crash have had to feed on human flesh so that they (the survivors)
could live. These are non Africans, I might add.  This goes to tell us that a
man can be a cannibal not because he is black or white; he/she can be one
given the circumstance.  By the way, what proof is there that Bokassa, Amin,
Abacha and others named in this article, practiced cannibalism?  Furthermore,
I would argue that "greed" is an ideological construct, rather than a genetic
disposition.  If you do not believe me ask the Republicans.

The novelist Ayi Kwei Armah said it best about Africa: "The beautiful ones
are not yet born."   While se wait for that to happen, we do not need to
crossbreed in order to perfect our development.... Just musing.