NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2000 15:32:24 -0400
7bit
From:
MissRoben <[log in to unmask]>
HERE IS THE REPOST!
jay
-----Original Message-----
From: WEEKS, KIRSTEN B. [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 8:06 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [POFAK] Wheat, dairy, egg free cake/zweiback again: was:
?Teething Biscuit Suggestions

Due to request, here's my recipe for Isaac's First Birthday Cake again.
Sorry to anyone who doesn't want it reposted!
At the bottom, you will see the directions for making it into Zwieback (aka
teething biscuits).
(special thanks to Heather Davis for the recipe I used as a
starting point)

Makes 2 - 9" round layers

1 cup rice syrup or maple syrup
1 1/2 tsp. safe vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 c apricot kernel oil (use whatever oil works for you)
2 Tblsp. non-aluminum/gluten free baking powder
3 cup oat flour
1 1/2 cup potato flour
1 1/2 cup rice flour

Preheat oven to 325.  Oil pans with Apricot Kernel Oil.
Combine syrup, vanilla,  mashed banana, water, and oil.
Mix well with spoon by hand or with an electric mixer on
low.  Add baking powder and mix well.  Add oat, potato and
rice flours and mix well.

Divide batter equally between two pans.  Bake for 70
minutes or until inserted toothpick comes our clean.

I originally glazed the cake with Rice Syrup drizzled over the top.  For
Phyllis' birthday, I used the Marshmallow fluff recipe from Miss Roben's
catalog (thanks!).

I baked the left over cake into zwieback.  I separated the
two layers, and cut the cake into biscotti size "fingers".
Arranged the pieces in a single layer on cookie sheets and
baked at 250 degrees F for more than an hour until golden
brown and completely dry.

Isaac loved the zwieback!  I had *tons* of it since I had
to do 6 test layers before I got the recipe right!

BTW -- if you aren't worried about dairy, you can use milk
in place of the water for the cake and frost the cake with
a banana cream cheese frosting (from LLL Whole Foods for
the Whole Family).

Whip a room temperature 8 oz. brick of cream cheese with
one ripe banana.  Makes enough to frost one layer.  Make
sure you make the frosting and use it shortly before the
party since it tends to turn brown over time.  It's yummy
though!

I have another cake recipe I used for Phyllis' first birthday since she is
allergic to bananas.

Kirsten
Mumma to Isaac 11-7-96 and Phyllis 4-14-99

Thanks