From:
Ayn Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 18:15:33 -0500

Hi All,

I hadn't intended to post a summary to my monolog re: losing friendships
and evaluating the quality of life when being gf, but I received over 75
gratitude and thanks. I read every message and some brought tears to my
eyes - I'm truly sorry so many of you have struggled as I have. Some of
you were kind enough, without being critical, to bring to my attention
that perhaps I needed to readjust my attitude. To those people, I
especially offer my thanks. Most of you agreed that it is very difficult
to lose a part of one's life (eating a 'normal' diet) and that a
mourning process must take place, and that you had gone through this or
a similar experience when you were diagnosed (usually those who were
diagnosed later in life than toddlers). A few people recognized that I
am still relatively new to the gf diet and that the body continues to
act strangely for quite some time - that was comforting to hear.

I would specifically like to address two people who wrote to say they
thought my post was dangerous and that if newly diagnosed people read
it, it would scare them. I had hoped that my post to the list was worded
in such a way as to emphasize to new celiacs that the experiences I had
were not my encouragement to ignore the diet or their doctors' advice. I
think that it is dangerous that newly diagnosed celiacs not be informed
of the difficulties the gf diet can impose, not to scare them, but to
alert them to ways their lives may change. People deal with change much
more effectively if they are aware of potential pitfalls - not that
everyone experiences the same issues. I think this list has a
responsibility to each other to be honest about how the gf diet can
affect one's life - good or bad.

Finally, regarding the question from many of you who wanted to know why
I lost friends, I think the answer to that is simply that I had no idea,
myself, how drastically my life would change. I was unprepared to ask
for support because I didn't realize I would need it. Also, being single
(as are most of my friends), we ate out much of the time. Quite frankly,
I find cooking for one not much worth the effort and time though I have
been forced into doing more of it. As much as all of us would agree that
eating good, healthy, nutritious foods are better than grabbing a quick
meal on the run, the demands of many of our lives support unhealthy
eating habits. I will regain my friendships because I now know what
being gf means (and it's not just eating a gluten-free diet), but I
would have preferred not to have risked losing them forever in the first
place.

I did go out on Wednesday night and ate a gluten-laden meal, mostly just
to try to determine if I was intolerant or celiac, in spite of my
negative biopsy. I'm sorry to report that I was in serious pain for two
days. So, with that experience under my belt (no pun intended), can
anyone tell me what they take for pain? All I had here at home was
Darvocet (generic) and my GI is out of town - his associates wouldn't
prescribe anything else without a positive celiac diagnosis. I searched
the web two hours last night trying to find out if Darvocet is gf, but
came up with nothing. I can call my PCP, but don't know what would be gf
and effective.

Thanks, again, to all of you who have been so supportive and to those
who wrote to tell me of their own similar difficulties, I offer hugs and
my support. Perhaps the list owners would consider adding something to
the FAQ  re: lifestyle changes dictated by a gf diet that affect
interpersonal relationships? I'm sure many of us could offer suggestions
to make the transition easier.

Ayn.