From:
Minna M Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 23:09:39 -0400

I'm currently five months pregnant and was scared to read vance's message
that celiacs have trouble absorbing folic acid. I'm taking 800 mcg of
folic acid daily and hoping I will have a healthy baby. I had the AFP
test done and it came back negative, so I'm hoping that means so far so
good. However, I just recently discovered that the yoghurt that I had
been eating is not GF. (Frankly, this makes me very angry, I think an
every day product like yoghurt and gluten should have NOTHING to do with
each other... but I guess anything is possible in the US!) I ate the
yoghurt with cereal on a regular basis and now I'm really worried that
how much damage did that cause to the development of my baby? I'm trying
to be extra careful with my diet but I'm living in a foreign national and
even after having lived here for almost two years, I still sometimes
discover that I have been eating product containing gluten. It's my own
fault though, I shouldn't take anything for granted here.

Now, how much folic acid should celiacs actually take? My OB/GYN told me
during pregancy I should take twice the normal amount of folic acid, and
from reading the labels on vitamin containers, the normal amount seems to
be 400 mcg. But what is a 'normal' amount of folic acid for celiacs?? I'm
not taking any prenatal vitamins, couldn't find a GF one. I even had a
real hard time finding regular vitamins that were GF.  My doctor assured
me that regular vitamins should be ok, as long as I was taking extra
folic acid. But am I taking enough of it?

I had a blood test done for anemia in December -98 and I was told
everything was fine.

Anyway, sorry for venting! If anybody has any more information on the
folic acid and pregnancy issue, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Greetings,
Minna in Boston