From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 07:46:54 PST

Hello all:

I have been diagnosed since August of 98. Originally I went to see the
gastrologist because of heartburn I had for 18 years. She assumed an
ulcer was the problem and when she went in with the scope and found
none, she went ahead and took a biopsy. I never had atypical symptoms of
celiac. I'm overweight, only had occasional diahrea. Blamed my moodiness
and depression on PMS. Did have shortness in breath my regular doctor
says is asthma. Heartburn and "gas" were my main symptoms I went to her
for.

I wanted to have Spaghetti the other night and went to the health food
store to look for spaghetti, I picked up some Tinkyada brand brown rice
spaghetti, some Ragu, and some Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage. These are
the 3 things I have never ate since diagnosed. I read the labels. The
sausage I had to look for because some have wheat and barley in them.
The sausage I bought did have MSG in it, which I know isn't good for you
anyway but thought it gf because it was inspected in the US. I heard US
MSG is gf.

I had the worst reaction I have ever had. I have missed acouple days of
work. I have been in pain and the diahrea was kept me from leaving the
house. I have never reacted like this (Not even before diagnosis).
Do you think the sausage had gluten? I can have spagetti without sausage
(if I get up enough courage to try it again). Some other ingredients in
the sausage were: Natural spices, Dextrose, Sodium Nitrite, Flavorings.

Also do you think because I have been so careful being gf, that now I am
more sensitive to gluten than I was before diagnosis? Also, how much
damage have I done this one time. Does the villi get damaged over time
or do they damage at once?

Thanks for your help
Sheryl Tingley
Auburn, WA