From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 23:50:06 EST

                       So What's a Friend?<2>
                       ----------------------
                           by Beth Hillson

I have been noticing a great deal of chit chat about friendships and
the gluten-free (GF) diet.  I just want to share a couple of my own
tidbits.

I am a life-long celiac so the diet is simply the way I live.  Nearly
twenty years ago I was teaching a Chinese cooking class and a man in
the class stayed late to help me with the dishes.  This happened for
several weeks and as time went on, the discussion turned to my diet
and diet restrictions.  He must have paid close attention.  Several
weeks later he invited me to dinner at his house and cooked a lovely
GF meal right down to almond cookies for dessert.  I was impressed.

Needless to say, we were married and now I have a son who is also
celiac.

He is a teenager and the subject comes up frequently about feeling and
acting different because of the GF diet.  When he says, "Mom, my
friends will make fun of me," I respond with, "Then they aren't your
friends."

Over the years MY friends have come to my defense and looked out for
my diet more than I have.  It's just part of caring.  I've tried to
convey that to my son and know that he is already experiencing that
same brand of friendship in his circle of friends.

I felt the need to share these stories because I feel that the diet
and coping with it are just a few of those challenges called "Life."
For me, the GF diet has been a test that has shown me what true
friendship is.