From:
Rick B Schroeter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 12:20:34 -0500

Thanks to all who sent replies to my question about decreasing bone
density and what to do about it. I received many responses! This seems to
be a very common problem that we share as fellow celiacs.

In summary:

A few reported that they are currently on the drug Fosomax and are not
having any problem taking it. This surprised me since this medication is
one that can cause severe gastro problems. The ones who had been on it
for awhile said that their bone density had improved or at least not
decreased.

Miacalcin is the nasal spray drug that I have recently been on. Only one
woman said that it gave her an extremely bad reaction. Others said it
gave them no side effects. Whether or not it actually increases bone
density is still debatable, according to what one person's doctor told
her.

Calcium/Magnesium supplements with Vitamin D are very important to take.
One comment on this that was interesting concerned taking no more than
500 mg. of calcium at a time, spreading your full dose out throughout the
day. Our bodies can only take in that amount of calcium at a time. Also,
dissolve one of your calcium tablets in a quarter cup of vinegar and time
it to see if it disolves within 30 minutes. This will tell you if the
type of calcium you are taking is being absorbed in your body the way it
should be.

Check with your doctor on having serum calcium levels done. One person
said their doctor tries to keep hers  at  a 9.6 range. Otherwise an
increase in Vitamin D might be necessary.

The usual recommendations of weight bearing exercise to strengthen the
bones, getting plenty of sunshine, avoiding alcohol, caffeine and
smoking, and for those who can (I can't), eat soy and dairy products,
also trickled in.

What surprised me is the number of celiacs who are 40 or under and
already have osteopenia or osteoporosis. Unfortunately, this disease must
take it's toll early on our bones.

Thanks so much for all the help! Christie in Texas