From:
Kathy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Sep 1999 22:01:19 EDT

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks to all of you who responded to my daughter's negative biopsy
results.  I asked if anyone had ever got a negative biopsy and still suffer
from Celiac.

Here are some of the results:

-one wrote that 25% of Celiacs get negative biopsies and that the NIH was
working on devolping standards for protocol for use by endoscopists and
pathologists.  They will meet about this in February 2000.

-some said that they too had a negative biopsy and that some doctors feel
that success on the diet constitutes a celiac diagnosis.

-some said that having the biopsy re-read by an expert in the field is a good
thing to do.  One suggested having a third doctor read it since she had three
give her three different answers.

-one reminded me that there is a difference between an intolerance and an
allergy.

-a couple mentioned inexperienced pathologists and gastroenterologists who
read the results.

-one suggested that I eliminate corn from my daughter's diet.

-some told me NEVER to do a food challenge since the symptoms can be terrible
after being on a gf diet.  One told me Celiac is for life.

-one suggested that there are other conditions such as Cystic Fibrosis that
mimic some of the problems we are experiencing.  (Thankfully, Hannah did not
have CF)

-one reminded me that when looking for solutions to medical conditions, you
should not do two things at one time so you know what is working and what
isn't.  We started Zantac for Hannah's ulcers at the same time we started the
diet, and she seemed a bit better.  We aren't sure now what she is responding
to.

I hope I didn't forget anything.  Thanks everyone for all of the support and
encouragement.  I wish I could say that things are getting better for Hannah,
but she has been miserable lately.  I don't know if gluten is in things I
don't know about yet, or if she is having problems with the things we are
substituting in her diet.  We will have to start from scratch and introduce
things extremely slowly.

Thanks again.

    Kathy