From:
Kathy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 18:27:53 EDT

Hi,
    My 20 month old adopted child (I only mention that  because we have
little to no family history) has had a terrible time gaining weight.  The
pediatrician has been little help, so I took her to see a gastroenterologist.
Not only has this baby fallen off the height, weight and head circumference
charts, but she has had about 6-7 bowel movements throughout each day.  An
allergist diagnosed her to be milk allergic, but wheat came up fine.

    On August 19, the gastroenterologist scoped her and biopsied her.  She
also found small gastric ulcers.  Today we finally got the results of the
biopsy and they came in negative for celiac.  She is going to send the
specimen (or report, I'm not the one who spoke to the doctor) and get another
opinion.  In the mean time she wants our daughter to start on the gluten free
diet.  Since her biopsy, we have started her on the diet, and she seems to be
so much happier.  (She also started on Zantac so maybe that has helped her as
well.)

    The gastroenterologist also ran a lot of blood work, and the IgGs and the
IgAs were abnormal.  (One was very high and the other very low but I can't
remember which was which.)  She has also had a terrible time with diaper
rashes.  There are times that she goes from having a normal healthy little
bottom, and within a minute after finishing a BM her little bottom is
actually bleeding and blistery red.  The dr said that that is classic for
kids who don't process carbohydrates.  (Critic Aid Skin Paste worked great
for that if anyone has had that problem.)

    Has anyone ever got a negative biopsy and still suffers from Celiac?

    Thanks for your help.

    Kathy