Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:22:22 -0700

Fellow Listmates,
        I am curious if Reflux Disease is common in Celiacs.

        I had many months of feeling like the food I was eating was getting
"stuck." In addition,  I had a constant pain in my chest. I also felt a
continual mild conestion in my lungs.  My doctor had me admitted outpatient
to preform an endoscopy.  The diagnosis was GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux
Disease).   The condition had advance to the point of stricture so that
food was, indeed, having a hard time making its way down to my stomach.
The doctor  performed a dilation in order to stretch and widen the
esophogus.

        Swallowing food is no longer a problem, however I still am
suffering the acid reflux, despite the Prevacid and antacids I take.

        Is GERD a common ailment in Celiacs?  Is there a direct relation in
CD patient who went many years without deiagnosis (probably 15 years in my
case).  I know the answers won't solve my problem, but I'm curious just the
same and wonder how many others have shared my experience. (OR-Perhaps it's
just common in us folk over 40.)

        Thank you.

Nina  :)
Phoenix, AZ