From:
"Stephen A. Rider" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 19:12:53 -0700

Ooops!

Regular readers of this list may recall that I posted
several messages in the last week, both of which touched on
the issue of oats and celiacs.

Last evening I posted a summary of the replies I had received
from my posting of Thursday June 24th.  Today there is
late-breaking news. I received two emails from real
scientists discussing the oats issue. I quote them below:

1)

>I believe in science, too (I'm just finishing up my phD in physics), but
>from what I've read, the question on oats is undecided so far. Wheat,
>barley and rye don't contain "the protein", it's actually a different
>protein complex for each of them, but they all cause the same kind of
>reaction in celiacs. Therefore it is not out of the question that proteins
>from other grains can cause this reaction, too. I eat buckwheat and quinoa,
>but I'm avoiding oats until the experimental evidence is conclusive.

2)

>Thanks for your note on the celiac listserve.
>
>I am doing research at the University of Illinois on oat proteins
>and celiac disease and have found similarities between reactive
>gluten proteins from wheat and avenin proteins from oats.  They have
>similar protein structure (and some have identical protein sequences)
>and I have found celiac antibodies that react to certain oat proteins
>on a western blot. However, not all oat varieties contain these
>proteins.  I am researching to figure out which oat varieties are the
>least immunoreactive.  One variety has no cross-reactive proteins.
>
>Buckwheat and amaranth are not closely related to wheat, so I don't
>suspect they have similar proteins.  Oats are fairly closely related
>to wheat. I guess your letter makes me want to get my data out in a
>publication soon!
>
>In my small local celiac support group, all members are sensitive
>to oats. My point is that scientists still don't know the whole
>story on celiac-inducing proteins.

Since I am a technical writer and trainer in the field of computer
Wide Area Networking, I feel compelled to bow to the greater
knowledge on this subject of the two individuals quoted above.

I'm forced to re-evaluate my position on oats and I hope my
postings have not led anyone to any unintended harm.

It seems that buckwheat, quinoa (which I'm told is pronounced
"KEEN wa") and amaranth are to be considered safe, however.

Happy Meals to All
Steve Rider

--
Stephen A. Rider