From:
Diane Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:32:05 -0500

   I picked up this recipe at a support group meeting a couple of years ago.
I just recently tried making buns out of it and it worked great.  I do not
use a bread machine as it didn't work well in a regular one.  I use my Oster
stand mixer with beaters or dough hooks, and make a double batch, so I make
one loaf and do other types of bread with the rest.  (A double batch is
really pushing it on capacity for the bowl though.)
   The last time I made bread I filled my Pampered Chef mini-muffin pan and
made several hamburger buns on a baking stone.  The kids loved the
mini-muffins and were especially excited to have buns with their burgers for
a change, instead of a plain patty and cheese.

Everything should be at room temperature (85 degrees):

Mix these dry ingredients together in large bowl:
1 pkg yeast (or equivalent from jar)
1 C brown rice flour
2 C white rice flour
3 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 C dry milk

Mix these ingredients in a smaller bowl:
2 eggs (room temp)
1/4 C melted margarine or butter
1 3/4 C warm water (90 degrees works well)
1 tsp rice vinegar(or GF equivalent, I use apple cider vinegar)

   Pour wet ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients while mixing.  Continue
mixing 10 minutes, scraping sides with a spatula to insure all ingredients
get mixed together.  Fill greased loaf pan about 2/3 full.  To make muffins,
use a spoon to scoop the batter into the greased muffin cups, filling 2/3
full.
   To make buns, either grease your hands or wear plastic gloves that are
greased, and scoop the batter out and pat into the shape you want, placing
on greased pan to rise.
   You must put this dough where you want to bake it before it rises.  You
cannot move it later as it will go flat.  Put the pans in a warm place to
rise.  After it has risen to the height you want, bake about 10-15 minutes
at 350 degrees.
   The loaf pan takes a little longer than the rolls and muffins.  Be sure to
test it for doneness as it has a tendency to look done while it still needs
to finish baking in the center.
   I have not tried any substitutions, so if anyone tries it without dairy,
I'd appreciate it if you would let me know how it works.