VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 06:38:21 -0000
Here is a message I copied from Jim Elsworth from HJ re: authorization key.
Marilyn

Here are some things to be careful of concerning authorization keys.

1.  If you plan to backup your hard drive which would include using a
program called Ghost you should remove your key and place it back on the
drive when you are done.

2.  When using Norton Speed Disk you should either remove the authorization
key, or get instructions on how to tell Norton to leave the key alone.  I
can supply you with the names of the files you need to tell Norton about.

3.  If you plan to format your hard drive you will need to remove the key.

4.  Running Windows Defrag is fine and will not hurt your key at all.  I do
it all the time.

5.  Performing a standard Scandisk is also fine.  I would advise against
using "thorough scan" without removing the key from your hard drive first.

6.  I suggest not using the above utilities on your authorization disk as
you may cause damage to the disk.

I hope that helps a bit.  Authorization keys aren't really all that
sensitive, but some caution is needed.  Henter-Joyce will kindly replace
lost authorization keys for registered owners of JFW.  This can be done by
phone, or by e mail, but be prepared to give your authorization number.

Cheers,
Jim Ellsworth