From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 22:49:56 -0700
From the Microsoft Knowledge Base, I found this in article Q232920:

When you try to shut down your computer, your computer may restart instead
of shutting down.

CAUSE

This behavior can occur on some computers if the Fast Shutdown feature is
enabled.

RESOLUTION

To work around this issue, disable Fast Shutdown:

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.

2.Click the General tab, and then click Advanced.

3.Click to select the Disable fast shutdown check box, click OK, and then
click OK.

4.Restart your computer.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego